Grey Towers, located in Milford, Pennsylvania, was originally the summer estate of the James Pinchot family and later the primary home of Gifford Pinchot, America’s first forester and founder of the USDA Forest Service.
Grey Towers was built in 1886 by James and Mary Pinchot as a summer retreat. It was James who first recognized the reckless destruction of natural resources that was overtaking the nation in the 19th century. James encouraged his eldest son Gifford to consider a career in forestry, thus introducing the idea of conservation to America.
Gifford Pinchot went on to establish and serve as the first Chief of the US Forest Service, and he was twice elected Governor of Pennsylvania. Between family, friends and political associates, Grey Towers was always bustling with activity and was central to advancing the Pinchots’ social, political and conservation ideals. In 1963 the Pinchot family donated Grey Towers and its surrounding 102 acres to the US Forest Service.
Strengthening Our Community Connection
Grey Towers Heritage Association (GTHA) supports the efforts of the US Forest Service to preserve and maintain the estate’s historic integrity, to continue the tradition of Pinchot hospitality and to strengthen Grey Towers’ connection to our community. GTHA helps support public programs that tell the interesting story of how one family helped shape our nation’s thinking about conservation.
- Musical, visual and literary events
- Public walks and talks
- Interpretive mansion tours
- Conservation education, schools and youth programs
For more information visit the website of Grey Towers National Historic Site, www.fs.fed.us/gt.